Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Week Four-- Progress!!

This week has been so great. The members of our ward continually surprise me with their generosity an kindness toward us missionaries. They keep us fed. haha :) Each of their stories are so unique and uplifting. I love getting to know them all.

This week we have finally started to see progress in our area!!! We went to teach Adam and his wife was there so we were able to teach both of them about the plan of salvation. They were really interested in what we had to say. They really thought the idea of the three kingdoms was cool. We invited them to be baptized. They were hesitant because they had already been baptized into their own church. So we talked about the Priesthood. It was surprising how quickly they understood it. I think we will really have to  work with them as we try to help them understand the importance of baptism with the right authority. Adam said that God would have to come right out and tell him personally for him to be baptized in our church. I hope and pray that Heavenly Father will open their hearts and help them understand. They are a wonderful couple and they appreciate the work that we do even though there may be differences in our beliefs. They gave us caramel apples when we left. yum.

We also got to teach Quentin. He is about 30 years old and he is a high-functioning autistic. His mom has been a little less active in church the past few years. They previous missionaries have worked with Quentin so hopefully we will be able to reach out to him and help him grow a desire to be baptized. His mom, Mary, really loves him and wants him to be baptized. She shared a wonderful testimony yesterday that touched my heart.

Sunday was awesome. It was fast Sunday and the testimonies that were shared were so amazing. I really felt the spirit. There was a moment when I realized where I was: in Missouri, hundreds of miles away from home. I barely know these people yet I feel like I am a part of their family. This ward is so great. I know they will always have a special place in my heart since they are my first area.
After Sacrament, we had the wonderful opportunity to go to a different ward in Sister Gunter's previous area. We went so that she could see a baptism of one of her investigators. It was really neat to see Tim get baptized. He was someone that Sister Gunter found while tracting and now she got to see it come full circle as he was baptized. Even though I wasn't a part of his conversion story, it was still really neat to see it.

The highlight of my week was Sunday night. We got to teach a girl named Sam. She is my age. She seemed so ready to hear the gospel. She loved what we talked about and was eager to start reading the Book of Mormon. I think that Heavenly Father has prepared her. I am really excited to see her progress. I invited her to be baptized and she said yes. It was really cool. I felt the spirit and after so many weeks of not seeing a lot of progress, it was neat to see Sam so ready to learn the gospel.

Halloween was awesome. We were able to spend it with a couple families in the ward. They gave us a wonderful dinner and then we just talked and talked. I felt a part of their family and I loved just being there with them. We roasted marshmallows over the stove and had smores. At our apartment, Sister Gunter and I put on fake mustaches and took pictures. It was a nice break.
I know that Heavenly Father has heard my prayers and I know that He watches out for us. He will give us success according to our faith and diligence.

The Fellowship of the Unashamed
“I am part of the fellowship of the unashamed. The dye has been cast! I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made; I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I won’t look back, let up, slow down, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure. I’m finished and done with low living, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tainted visions, worldly talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed goals. I no longer need pre-eminence, positions, promotions, plaudits or popularity. I now live by faith, lean on His presence, walk with patience, am uplifted by prayer, and labor with power. My face is set, my gait is fast, and my goal is Heaven. My road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my guide is reliable, my mission is clear! I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, divided or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the adversary, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won’t give up, shut up, or let up, until I have stayed up stored up, and paid up of the cause of Christ. I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till I know, and work till He stops me.”
P-day we went on a hike. The whole ground was covered in leaves. It made it a little slippery on the hills.


This was at the Mastodon
 State Park. I think they were celebrating their 150th anniversary.

Sister Gunter and I



No comments:

Post a Comment